[kwlug-disc] First observations on Lucid Lynx

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Mon May 3 12:42:59 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 11:49, Adam Glauser <adamglauser at gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris Irwin wrote:
>>
>> I've got an easily replicated experience using unison. There are only
>> a few files that I exclude that turn out to be somewhat machine
>> specific and/or transient.
>
> Sounds like the making of a great presentation :)

It's not really. It took a fair amount of time reading to see what
files are configuration versus cache versus data. xdg-dirs help here,
but not everything uses them yet (or uses them properly). I don't
think it would be very long to stream through it. If there is really
interest, I'll do it of course (I always cave to peer pressure). But I
don't think it would take longer than 20 minutes or so.

I just received my SSD ("like, OMG! JUST NOW!!1"), so I'll be tweaking
a few things tonight (to avoid syncing my large media). How would I go
about sharing this configuration with the list? It is multiple files,
so having to snip between markers is a pain. I could post a .tar.gz.
Since it is mostly text, it would probably be better than putting it
all in the message body, but attachments on lists don't feel right. Is
there a policy or general netiquette rule here? I'm thinking of just
blogging it on my website and throwing up a link.

Hmm, I should move my site to my VPS before I get LUG'd :)

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>