[kwlug-disc] First observations on Lucid Lynx

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Mon May 3 11:41:08 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:10, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>> I learned long ago, since I sit down at far too many different computers
>> to help far too many people, go with how it comes, get on with it. Don't
>> customize it, or come to depend upon anything different being there.
>
> My tangent: I miss the days when you could carry around all of your
> configuration easily in dotfiles that lived in your home directory.
> When you upgraded your computer or created another account, all your
> customizations could travel with you: copy .bashrc, .screenrc and
> .vimrc and you were good to go.

If you only care about a consistent bash, screen, and vim session, you
still only need those. It's just there is a lot more configuration now
(Do I want text on my toolbars? Do I want left/right buttons? Do I
want system stats in my panel? What colour do I want the second stats
read-out to be? etc.), so we're going through growing pains of how to
manage it. gconf, dconf, xdg-dirs, etc. Just a few more dot-files and
-directories to track.

I've got an easily replicated experience using unison. There are only
a few files that I exclude that turn out to be somewhat machine
specific and/or transient.

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>