[kwlug-disc] OT - degauss/wipe a dead hard drive/LTO tapes

Oksana Goertzen ogoertzen at gmail.com
Mon May 3 10:58:23 EDT 2010

Hello Everyone,

I have a hard drive that can be sent back to the manufacturer because it's
still
under warranty.  The drive is no longer boot-able.  Will degaussing the
drive
wipe it sufficiently?  Does anyone have access to such a device or a strong
electric magnet?  I can't run DBAN or destroy the drive because it needs to
it failed.

And on a side note, we have a number (a lot, actually) of LTO tapes at work
that should either be destroyed or degaussed.  Does anyone know anything
about degaussing tapes?  Can they be recycled at all?

Thanks for any advice!

Oksana