[kwlug-disc] First observations on Lucid Lynx

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun May 2 20:14:07 EDT 2010

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Raul Suarez <rarsa at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On *Sun, 5/2/10, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com>* wrote:
>
> Any Kubuntu users out there who have upgraded to 10.04?
>
> Any gotchas so far?
>

> This is an honest question. Not a rhetorical question  or attempt to wakeup
> the desktop fanboy demons.
>
> What do you find alluring about KDE?

Nothing "alluring".

Short answer: a) I am more familiar with it, and b) it does not stand in my
way.

- The menu requires too many clicks to do something. Hovering the mouse does
> nothing.

Did not notice that. I guess it is like Windows XP in that regard, and hence
"familiar" (the last version of Windows I used was XP).

> - Option pages are too cluttered. I like having all those options, just not
> showing them all at the same time. e.g. For appearance I couldn't find a
> "Theme" section, I must select element by element. I'd prefer to have a
> "theme" and then tweak it if I want.

I use as little as I need. I am not in love with my desktop. It is a means
to an end.

> - The Dolphin is too cluttered and font too small. When I was in my early
> 20's I learned that systems had to be designed with font "over 40". Meaning
> that a person over 40 should be able to read it without straining his/her
> eyes.

Dolphin is fine for me. I like the split screen functionality. I even liked
its predecessor from the KDE 3.5 (forgot its name).

But I have been using glasses for computer work for a few years, so perhaps
that is a factor.

Anyway, not an issue for me.

- Back to doing ANYTHING, requires too many clicks. Due to the amount of
> options and lack of sensible context sensitive menus.

Never noticed this. Perhaps it is getting used to.

Sorry, no magical answers. I guess it is what one gets used to.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.