[kwlug-disc] NFS slow ...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat May 1 21:50:43 EDT 2010

I am having a weird issue on our home network.

Basically, the server runs NFS. The share is accessible to other PCs at
home.

When I browse the share for a folder containing largish pictures (2.4 MB,
thanks to a new Canon), it is extremely slow. Taking many minutes to just
display the thumbnail of the picture.

This did not happen before. I was able to browse fine.

Here is what netstat shows on the server:

# netstat -tuap| grep nfs
tcp 0      0 *:nfs          *:*              LISTEN      -
tcp 0 850424 homeserver:nfs 192.168.0.xx:932 ESTABLISHED -
udp 0      0 *:nfs          *:*

So you can see that the server is listening, there is one connection
established from my laptop to the server, and there are many bytes waiting
to be send. The bytes disappear after a while (when the thumbnail is
displayed in Dolphin I am guessing).

I rebooted the laptop. Did not help. I rebooted the server. Did not help
either.

Other than that, I am stumped as to where the issue could be.

Any pointers?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.