[kwlug-disc] home voip/backup server recommendations

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Sat May 1 11:47:31 EDT 2010

----- "Insurance Squared Inc." <gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:

> I'm setting up my home office and would like some recommendations in
> terms of hardware for the main 'server'.
> I need a box that will be always on as it will handle:
> - my offsite webserver backups
> - our asterisk phone system
> - a small inhouse mysql database.
> I've got all this running on two old tanks - server grade machines,
> hot,
> loud, heavy and indestructible.  But I don't want to run those
> machines
> in the basement of the house.
> Can I get away with an older dell desktop for something like this?  Or
> should I be looking at a tower server?

I chose to use a Lenovo desktop tower system for my home server. It's quiet and cheap. In my case I chose a new one so that I could get 64bit and virtualization. I'm not using either, but I figure I'll own it for a while and I want the option of using it.

Since it's very light use and in a location where it doesn't get jarred or vibrated it should last a good long time.

You should be able to get away with any 5 year old or newer PC, perhaps even older. Unless you plan on hosting large voice conferences or serving lots of queries in mysql you should be okay.

John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO
Net Direct Inc.
564 Weber St. N. Unit 12, Waterloo, ON N2L 5C6
Ph: 866-883-1172 x5102
Fx: 519-883-8533

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware