[kwlug-disc] ssh copy routing

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Fri Mar 19 15:09:14 EDT 2010

I was copying a lot of files over ssh from my desktop to my laptop (i.e
I opened a terminal session on my laptop and then did scp {from} {to}).
When I did, folks here started complaining the phone was cutting out.

How could that be?  I have a router in front of a commercial quality
switch (all 01/100 with gigs going to the router).  Shouldn't the
traffic between two internal machines be handled strictly inside the
switch, and thus not affect the voip phone traffic in the office (which
also does go through the same switch).