[kwlug-disc] Todo Lists and task management

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Fri Mar 19 01:21:39 EDT 2010

ToDo or Task items are just timeless appointments with rollover.
Typically they display on the Due Date, but if a task is not marked
"Completed" by the due date then it rolls over to the next day,
remaining on "Today" until it's finally completed (or deleted).

I use Google Calendar to store appointments and tasks, but use the
client interface in the Thunderbird Lightning plugin, and also
Evolution.  The Evolution integration lets me sync to a PDA (which I
don't currently have).

But I want to set up a CalDav server so that I can eliminate the
dependency on Google.  No need for them to know which User Group
meetings I'm attending...

The interchange file format for Tasks (VTODO) (and Appointments
(VEVENT)) is iCalendar http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2445 usually
exported/imported in a flat .ics file.  There should be lots of
available libraries for parsing.

Speaking of flat files, I've heard things about Tomboy http://projects.gnome.org/tomboy/ to keep track of tasks.  Never used it, but I've used other "sticky notes" types of applications.  But I never could get the hang of them.

--Bob.