[kwlug-disc] Makefiles [was: command prompt history]

Kyle Spaans 3lucid at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 00:46:44 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com> wrote:
> --Bob (who believes less is more, and that being brief will encourage a
> comprehensive lecture series both on how makefiles in general work, and why
> they would be useful here)

To be equally brief, see: "graph theory".

--Kyle (wiping his hands emphatically)

OK, as far as I know, you specify the dependencies of each file you are using.
Make then builds a graph from those dependencies and, using the
modification times of the files, decides which ones will need to be recompiled
and acts accordingly.

Still sound worthy of a presentation? :P