[kwlug-disc] Hosting

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed Mar 17 08:56:15 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 06:46, Insurance Squared Inc.
<gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:
> Depends on what you're doing I suppose.  I host many of my sites at a
> hosting company in the US I paid $6 for one year for unlimited domains :).
> Fine for home stuff.  Most of my business stuff needs more than just uptime
> - I need fast servers and fast response times to my clients.

My requirements for my two domains are not much. I have a
"Professional" domain I'd like to have a bit of a business-ish front
on it, and a "Personal" domain I'd like to use for a bit of blogging,
sharing photos and files with family, that sort of thing. I registered
my "Pro" domain in 2002. I'll start using it as intended any day
now...

My SO currently just needs to put files up and let her boss take them
down, possibly with HTTP auth. Longer-term, she may wish a bit of
portfolio of her work. "My" fourth domain is actually my Mom's
website, mostly for family photos at the moment, though she may end up
putting some family research on there.

So nothing that is high-traffic. I don't necessarily need five 9's.

> I'm no technical expert on webhosting, but the practical application side of
> this stuff can become important in some cases as well (though I understand
> that the OP wasn't looking for that :) ).

While I'm not interested in it now, I'm glad it is pointed out for
possible future use. Right now I just need bit storage somewhere.

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>