[kwlug-disc] Hosting

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Mar 16 20:18:41 EDT 2010

Can anybody recommend any hosting providers? Almost *any* hosting
provider I can scrounge up brings up bad reviews since comparatively few
every post about not having trouble.

I think I'm looking for a provider that offers virtual servers but
suppose I would accept shared hosting if they could provide the services
I'm interested in.

- regular LAMP stack
- Can host my four domains
- DNS for said domains
- ssh
- postfix or sendmail.
- Ease of getting crap out for backup (e.g. automated mysql dumps)

I would imagine the hardest part would be the four domain part. Most
providers probably would see that as four separate accounts...

To be honest, for the extremely low volume of traffic I receive (i.e.
almost none usually) hosting from my home-based server on my 5M/800k DSL
connection hasn't been a problem. But my Significant Other is starting
to use her domain for sharing files with her boss more often since
emailing 50MB-100MB PDFs is not feasible. With actual work on the line,
"Oh, the site is probably unreachable because I'm torrenting the new
Ubuntu release" doesn't fly anymore.

Or should I just convince her and her boss to use something like
Dropbox?

--
Chris Irwin
e:  chris at chrisirwin.ca