[kwlug-disc] Todo Lists and task management

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Mar 16 13:34:38 EDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:47, Kyle Spaans <3lucid at gmail.com> wrote:
> A neat package for emacs (if you're willing to go that far :P) is called
> OrgMode (the name is appropriate: http://orgmode.org/).

I've heard lots of good things about OrgMode, but the biggest thing
that kept me away is that while it might help me manage a text-file
better than vim, I still have all the downsides of having to be at my
full, regular computer. Also not interested in changing religions :)

> What I'm using is a personal wiki in my webspace, protected by a
> password in an htaccess file: http://kyle.wapanok.com/wiki/. It's
> running LionWiki (http://lionwiki.0o.cz/), which is single-file and needs
> no database (and I can get at it from any browser, even my phone).
> It doesn't have any of the fancier features you're asking for though.

I tried the wiki thing once with moinmoin. It was acceptable, but just
barely. It gave me multiple device support, but was much more involved
than using something simpler like Tomboy.

One thing I was considering was going full-out into an issue tracker.
As long as I could mail-to-issue (procmail, cron, whatever I need to
do), I should fill about 75% of my mobile needs. And I suppose I could
use curl and grep to fetch summary todo information...

I'm currently reading about Mantis[1], Redmine[2], and Trac[3]. It
appears that they would integrate with my git repositories, so I
wouldn't have to manually close programming tasks (about 50% of my
tasks). Mantis appears to have basic time tracking, which would be
good for the occasional contract. The problem here is investigating an
issue tracker adds another item to my todo list!

Trac seems to be the more widely used of the three.

1. http://www.mantisbt.org/
2. http://www.redmine.org/
3. http://trac.edgewall.org/

--