[kwlug-disc] KWLUG - The Kitchener Waterloo Linux User Group new content notification: 2010-06-28 13:06

webhost at kwlug.org webhost at kwlug.org
Mon Jun 28 13:06:10 EDT 2010

Greetings mail-forum-merge,

Recent content - 1 new post

1. byobu or Checking your update manager package descriptions
Published Blog entry by Raul Suarez
[ http://kwlug.org/node/747 ]

I use Mint, an Ubuntu derivative, and every time I get a notification
that there are updates available, I go check the list of updates.
I do this with several purposes in mind:

First and foremost, I want to know what gets updated in case something
stops working.
Second, I want to see how many there are and how large to evaluate how
long it's going to slow down my (old) computer
and third, to learn a bit about the packages I have installed

Remember when you were in grade school and the teacher (or parents)
enticed you to learn at least one new word every day? You end up with
quite a wide vocabulary without getting bored studding the dictionary.
In an end-user Linux based system these days we rarely know (or
understand) all the packages that are installed by default, so having a
look at the ones that are being updated and evolving is quite
illuminating.
The Mint updater is nice enough to show the description of the packages
it is updating. This is the same description as the one used in the
package installer. Reading those descriptions is equivalent to that "one
word a day" game.
Today for example, among all the libraries listed there was an
application called byobu, Reading the description, I found the
following:
byobu includes a set of profiles for the GNU screen window manager.
These profiles are quite useful on server machines which are not running
a graphical desktop.  The 'screen' command provides a number of advanced
features are not necessarily exposed in the default profile.  These
profiles provide features such as status bars, clocks, notifiers (reboot
required, updates available), etc.  The profile-switcher allows users to
quickly switch their .screenrc to any of the available profiles.
The most interesting part is that I wouldn't have know what all that
meant without listening to Paul's presentation on "screen".
Thanks Paul!
Have you had the same experience as me finding jewels among the list of
updates? What other methods do you use to learn a little about Linux
every day?

--
This is an automatic e-mail from KWLUG - The Kitchener Waterloo Linux
User Group.