[kwlug-disc] could be the laptop deal of the year

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jun 25 14:25:54 EDT 2010

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010, Chris Irwin wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 09:45, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> > i've had consistently good luck with refurb'ed laptops from
> > tigerdirect, and it had what i wanted for my new system (1600x900
> > display, DDR3 memory, basic HW virt support, HDMI port), and at
> > that price, it's hard to go wrong.
>
> Let us know how the graphics work. I haven't heard much about the
> new Intel on-package graphics. It would be nice to get a first-hand
> report.

  just pulled it out of the UPS box, plugged it in, booted to live
ubuntu 10.04, desktop is running at 1600x900, wireless connected,
seems fine, pretty much what i expected.  sadly, it's only the i3
processor (as advertised) rather than the unexpected bonus of an i5,
but i can live with that.  and it's actually fairly light.

  regarding graphics, i have no need for blinding speed, i just want
lots of pixels for real estate.  as long as it runs at native res, i'm
happy.  all in all, a fairly good deal.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca