[kwlug-disc] could be the laptop deal of the year

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Jun 25 09:57:00 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>wrote:

>  regularly checking in at tigerdirect.ca and saw this a couple days
> ago:
>

> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6367166&Sku=S445-170017&cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot%2001-_-CatId_17_S445-170017
>
> i've had consistently good luck with refurb'ed laptops from
> tigerdirect, and it had what i wanted for my new system (1600x900
> display, DDR3 memory, basic HW virt support, HDMI port), and at that
> price, it's hard to go wrong.
>
>  what's interesting is the comments underneath, where a number of
> commenters were pleasantly surprised that the system came with an i5
> processor instead of the advertised i3.  bonus!  mine should show up
> today so that's the first thing i'll check.

Good configuration, great resolution.

I stopped getting refurbished laptops, several years back. Instead, I go for
new
ones and pay for the additional warranty.

Just yesterday had one replaced for one of my daughters because it was sent
for repair for the 4th time, and the No Lemon policy says it has to be
replaced.

They honored it, but I had to get a manager to talk to, and their computer
system
would not let them do a return, so it took a lot of time to sort out, but at
the end,
I got an equivalent Toshiba with Core i3, and a LED screen. Had to pay for a
new
service plan on it, but the hardware was free, including the taxes.

Have not put Linux on it yet, so too early to say.

Questions :

1. Does the HDMI work under Linux? Does it need any drivers?

2. How heavy is the 17.3" inch. Tell us after a month or so of lugging it if
it
is too heavy, bearable or just right.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin