[kwlug-disc] [OT] Google sniffing wifi, collecting emails and passwords.

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Jun 25 09:30:36 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 6:35 AM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> > Think about commercial GPS's that use Navteq maps: how often do they get
> > updated? The area I live in got a roundabout, a plaza, ...etc. None of
> that
> > showed up on the GPS and it kept complaining about me needing to drive to
> > the highlighted route.
> >
> > They make you pay $50 for a update that is 1 year old.
> >
> > Again, if it is a free service inside a city, it would be useful.
> >
> > "Good enough" has some edge over "perfect".
>
> Well you know what my answer will be for the out-of-date maps.

I knew it!

> But on the wifi router MAC addresses.  Would a router Swap Meet be an
> act of commercial disobedience?

This reminds me of the early 90s, when made in Taiwan ethernet cards started
flooding the market. They had DIP switches that allowed you to change the
MAC
address of the card. So long for these being globally unique!

And also reminds me of the present day feature in most routers where it
would
clone a certain computer's MAC address to the ISP in case they tied your
subscription to a certain MAC address.

So, the facility is there to spoof MAC addresses, even today. Is it
practical to
keep changing it every couple of hours/days? I am not sure. There may be
network implications, but it is not undoable.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.