[kwlug-disc] [OT] Google sniffing wifi, collecting emails and passwords.

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Thu Jun 24 21:37:15 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 20:45 -0400, Chris Frey wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:10:01PM -0400, Bob Jonkman wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 21:37 -0400, Chris Frey wrote:
> >
> > > just like leaking
> > > your MAC address to your neighbours and to Google is a choice.
> >
> > I suppose leaking your MAC address is a choice, but it's impossible to
> > use WiFi without leaking your MAC address.  Even when your signal is
> > encrypted, and even when your SSID is invisible, the router's MAC
> > address will still be broadcast.
>
> I suspected that.  Thanks for the clarification.  That does leave the
> choice pretty bleak, but it's still a choice.
>
> - Chris

How is a MAC different than a house number?  Really, unless you want to
be homeless, you do have to surrender some anonymity.  In fact, a MAC is
more anonymous than a house number - the city doesn't register MACs.
And you can rotate your MAC every month if you were so inclined.

So what is worse?  Google taking a picture of your house with the street
number in plain view, or recording your MAC address.