[kwlug-disc] netbooks without windows

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Thu Jun 24 20:37:59 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:51:00AM -0400, Lori Paniak wrote:
> While Mr Stallman is free to enjoy the internet however he wishes, who
> else thinks that the state of the Linux desktop (for one) would be in a
> better place if OSS principals had more "normal" usage patterns?

Someone would have to pay for their time though.  I suspect that
Stallman gets a fair amount done with his current setup.  To make
a guy like that change his daily habits, you'd have to pay him.

This worked for compilers and Emacs, etc, since the programmers wanted
these tools for themselves.  But a programmer finds beauty in the code,
and is often quite happy with that, regardless of how the UI looks.

Myself included.  And Lori is one to know... he laughs every time he
sees an xterm open on my desktop running alsamixer. :-)

Ubuntu at least has a rich guy who can herd the cats toward user-friendliness.

If Linux had a Steve Jobs, he'd be ripping out features and options
pretty quick.  It would look pretty, but cut and paste might take a while.

- Chris