[kwlug-disc] [OT] Google sniffing wifi, collecting emails and passwords.

Shane shane.msg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 20:28:35 EDT 2010

Like any good, in the sense of function an not necessarily ethics, and thorough research and fact finding entity Google is gathering information and I suspect so is everyone else including governments and law enforcement agencies and,and ad nauseam.

Why are they collecting it?  It may be useful at some time in the future.  Someone might develop a way to use this data to predict who-knows-what?  If and when this happens the data is there.  And that data will be very valuable to prove or reject at least hundreds of hypotheses or elevate more into theories for future testing for which more data will doubtless have been gathered.

I don't know if any of you has any background in social sciences but to the best of my knowledge (TDBOMK?) predictions about specific individuals are so far no better than chance.  The predictions are for groups only.

The information gathered is probably also fed to freaky security organizations like someone trying to figure out who will throw a bomb at someone.  Or shoot up a high school.  We live in freaky times.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.