[kwlug-disc] [OT] Google sniffing wifi, collecting emails and passwords.

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Mon Jun 21 18:38:03 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 04:28:24PM -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> Similarly, is it bad/unethical for Google to record your unencrypted
> traffic even when there is no digital lock protecting it? Is it the
> encryption that is supposed to secure your data, or is it the
> underlying principle?

Wifi is like walking around with my MAC address on my t-shirt.
I can't be too upset if people read it.

If I sold that t-shirt and tried to keep people from reading it
with some kind of lock, it would be even worse.

In both the wifi case and the digital lock case, people are sending
data out into the wild and still expecting to control it somehow.

- Chris