[kwlug-disc] When MS strikes back, they may be hurting

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Jun 15 14:11:01 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 09:03:59AM -0700, Raul Suarez wrote:
> MS will release a limited/ad-based version of MS Office to be bundled with new computers.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/37nfpte

In my opinion here is the most important paragraph in that article:

==============

They're also encouraged to install the Bing Bar (a browser add-on that
works with Internet Explorer and Firefox), Windows Live Essentials,
and Microsoft Security Essentials. (As my colleague Mary Jo Foley
notes, OEMs gets a significant price break if they install the Bing
Bar and Windows Live Essentials with Office Starter.)

So you get a reduced price for including more software. Economies
of scale, I guess.

It's a good thing I am a Microsoft apologist. Otherwise I would be
tempted to label this "Microsoft Office Spyware Edition".

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org