[kwlug-disc] Fwd: Re: [WLSG] Letter-writing meeting [urgent-ish]

Andrew Sullivan Cant acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jun 14 22:09:42 EDT 2010

Paul,
Thanks for the summary, that was very helpful.
I will be happy to sign the petition in July, and I am going to writing
a bunch of letters to the appropriate politicians.

> - One core phrase that was floated around a lot was the idea that
>    "circumvention of digital locks should be allowed for non-infringing
>    purposes". That is, if the use that you would be using media for
>    would not be infringing copyright ordinarily, then breaking a
>    digital lock should be okay. It seems like an elegant way of
>    expressing the issue to me, but maybe I am on drugs.

That is an interesting phrasing. Certainly could take some of the
problematic teeth out of the anti-circ provisions. As long as
distribution/production/selling  of the tools to achieve it was also
allowed.

Could be an interesting way to throw a bone to those who cannot accept
that DRM does not really work, but avoid the potential harm to us.

Andrew