[kwlug-disc] Computer-like mobile

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sun Jun 13 06:51:09 EDT 2010

Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account) wrote, On 06/13/2010 1:07 AM:
> On Saturday, June 12, 2010 09:13:02 am John Van Ostrand wrote:
>> I would say that even though the iPhone has lots of mind-share
>> it's actually a poor general purpose computer. First the O/S
>> doesn't multi-task. There is a recent API addition that allows
>> applications to
>
> The iPhone multitasks just fine.

You sure about that Andrew? And all I mean by that is, in theory our
Palm Treo's are too, yet any given app seems to get the entire
machine, and all too frequently, is able to crash it and a reset is
needed. Or just happens.

There's never seemed to be a 'ring 0' (for lack of the proper name) to
trap these errant threads, kill them, and keep the rest of the device
functional.

I gather from your comments that you're much happier, in this respect,
with the iPhone.

> Apple removed the API calls from
> general use.
>
>> register call-backs of some sort, but it isn't true
>> multi-tasking, more like cooperative multi-tasking. This means
>> that you can't talk on the phone and browse your contacts to give
>> someone information. Second, the
>
> ? I do this all the time.  When you're on a call, press home and go
> to whatever other app you want.  The ipod app works the same way.
>
>> iPhone is what Apple calls a "walled garden", or with less spin,
>> a gilded cage. Apple decided that you can only get applications
>> that it approves so it controls which applications are available
>> for the phone and there's only one place to get them, yup Apple.
>> And for this service they take a hefty percentage of the software
>> licence fee. There are jail-break procedures for the iPhone and
>> subsequently other places to obtain apps. If it's anything like
>> my AppleTV box it may be hard to keep it open. The AppleTV box I
>> have needs to be re-hacked every time it updates.
>
> Yep, this is the #1 problem with the device. I've used a LOT of
> smartphones over the years (right back to the Treo 650) and the
> iPhone's the best one of the bunch, hardware and software wise.
> Unfortunately they want to try to dictate HOW I'll use the device,
> and that's unfortunate.

Some day, should you ever get Symbian (or Nokia?), I'll be most
interested to hear your impressions of that / those devices.