[kwlug-disc] Fwd: Judge Stewart Rules: Novell Wins! CASE CLOSED!

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Jun 12 19:34:59 EDT 2010

Raul Suarez wrote, On 06/12/2010 10:20 AM:
> --- On Sat, 6/12/10, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>> aren't going to emerge from the woodwork any time soon?
>>
>> Is it felt that we can actually go back to our prior blind
>> assumption that all is well, and will forever be?
>
> I don't think that any group or company can ever assume that things
> will be OK for ever.
>
> If anything this should be taken as experience of the due diligence
> that FLOSS projects and companies should do.

I don't think any amount of due diligence will catch many of these
things that emerge out of the wood work.

Be it SCO out of the blue starting their nonsense, the patent
stupidities RIM keeps going through (, mostly through someone else's
greed, or RIM being a target for trolls), and, apparently, will
forever have to be waiting for yet another frivolous claim to crop up
and bite them. Again.

There is an air of fear out there - despite reasonable due diligence,
people are still getting unexpectedly bitten in the heinie. And it's
stifling progress, if I understand correctly. FUD.

I'm guessing, then, that nothing's changed - SCO settled, or not.