[kwlug-disc] Future short presentations

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jun 9 02:33:09 EDT 2010

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 06/08/2010 2:21 PM:
> Yes, I am volunteering to do one in 20 to 30 minutes:
>
> - Backup for Linux: Why and How?

To me, this is a theme, not a one off. At least in my own experience.

But that's no bad thing.

- Backups, why?, rotation, off-site, sets.
- Backups, internal organization, central storage (for central
backup), migrating to that orientation - nfs, samba, ...
- Backups, actual process / software / steps. Cron. CHECKING THE LOGS!
   - this would be multiple. Amanda one night, dar another, tar,
clonezilla, rsync
- Backups - restore (testing)
   - perhaps this is two bits: prep. the replacement hardware with a
minimal install, to be able to load the backup back on. pxe / net boot?
- Backups - imaging
- Backups - archiving
- Backups - archival storage / format. IIRC a comment from Richard,
optical storage doesn't last nearly as long as we expect. And a decade
later when it doesn't work ...