[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Jun 7 00:29:44 EDT 2010

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 at 13:41, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account)
<aklists at mixdown.ca> wrote about Re: [kwlug-disc] are you going to be a
criminal?:
> No, but I'm pretty sure that being in possession of lock picking tools without
> being licensed*is*  a crime, at least in BC and Alberta. Picks for automotive
> locks are a different beast, and*do*  require a license in all provinces, IIRC.

Possession of lock picking tools is covered by the Canada Criminal Code,
not the provinces.  And possession is not illegal, until they're
actually used or intended to be used for breaking in.  From
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/C-46/page-6.html#codese:351

    Possession of break-in instrument
    <http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fra/C-46/page-6.html#codese:351>

    *351. <http://laws.justice.gc.ca/fra/C-46/page-6.html#codese:351> *
    (1) Every one who, without lawful excuse, the proof of which lies on
    them, has in their possession any instrument suitable for the
    purpose of breaking into any place, motor vehicle, vault or safe
    under circumstances that give rise to a reasonable inference that
    the instrument has been used or is or was intended to be used for
    such a purpose,
    (a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment
    for a term not exceeding ten years; or
    (b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

A good reason ("lawful excuse") must be provided by the person who has
the tools, which is why I'd love to see a KW Locksport Association in
the area...

--Bob.