[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

Sun Jun 6 12:47:09 EDT 2010

On Saturday, June 05, 2010 12:28:49 am unsolicited wrote:
> But it does have the business of facilitating the enforcement of
> copyright that is being violated.
>
> Please don't obfuscate. We are all agreed that digital locks would
> diminish the current copyright rights for making a backup, and that
> that's unacceptable. Making the backup is fair use. Nothing to do with
> profit.

Format shifting is also fair use. Being able to watch it on a DVD player of my
own making is also fair use.

We already have copyright law. We don't need digital locks to enforce it, and
we also don't need to allow <content attribute="copyable" value="protected"/>
to be a valid lock!

The digital lock provisions in this bill take away our fair use rights granted
by Canadian copyright law. This is wholly unacceptable.

-A.