[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Jun 5 23:01:14 EDT 2010

John Johnson wrote, On 06/05/2010 10:27 PM:
> At 21:23 2010-06-05, you wrote:
>> I was not stretching it.
>
> Point taken. And to be fair, I think there was talk at one point about
> putting a lock signal in the NTSC output of a VHS tape that would be
> picked up by another VCR to prevent copying. I do not how far this idea
> made it into the wild.

I'm trying to remember the specifics, thus my question in the other
post. But ...

It was never in the NTSC, but has been present in devices for a very
long time now. With a protected tape (Macrovision?), you cannot go to
another (VHS?) recording device. Even, e.g., you play out from the VCR
to the TV, and out from the TV to another VCR, the TV is passing
through the protection (I forget whether it's a signal, a flag, a
what, but - remember, this is an analogue medium, still, at this
point.) [Even so, IIRC, the Rogers boxes wouldn't pass some received
NTSC to a recording device / VCR, or something. Not sure whether that
was an NTSC thing, I don't think so, or a Rogers thing. (Likely.) It's
been so long.]

I know I copied what few VHS tapes I wanted. I tried from my VCR into
my PVR (this is all S-video, by the way) - but I don't remember
whether I gave up because it wouldn't copy, or because I didn't like
the result, in terms of buying me anything / being useful. [I know I
did it from my digital tape camcorder to the PVR - I suspect because I
was looking for a DVD result, at the time.]

I did copy from a VHS hooked up to my Hauppauge USB-PVR2,
successfully. I don't remember if that's because it was one of the few
or only ways that worked, or that because, really, only a hard disk
version was ultimately desired / useful. (Which may be why I didn't do
this on the PVR - a hard disk .mpg result being far more useful than
having a disc lying around.)