[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Jun 4 22:28:39 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 09:50:09PM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> OK, then my point is that our discussions should be focused upon how
> to be more influential. Noise level ain't gonna do it - or the bill
> wouldn't have been repeatedly reintroduced. So, how about proposing a
> better mousetrap?

The fact that this bill keeps coming back is not a reflection of
our previous success or failure, in my opinion.

We don't have much control over what industry does, or how often it will
keep trying.  We can only control ourselves.  What we say, what we buy,
how often we speak to our MP's, and who we vote for.

I think that's how we influence both government and industry.

As for the better mousetrap, DRM with no legal enforcement (current
status quo) means that no new law needs to be passed.  Even if we win,
this "vacancy" leaves room for industry to keep coming back saying there
is a gap in our laws.

Should we then try to close that vacancy?  Should we instead be pushing
for a law that bans DRM?

I don't think the goal should be to close this matter once and for all.
That's about as hard as solving the Quebec question.  And copyright will
likely need to be revisited anyway as technology changes even more.

- Chris