[kwlug-disc] are you going to be a criminal?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Jun 4 20:10:37 EDT 2010

Chris Frey wrote, On 06/04/2010 8:02 PM:
> Overcoming industry's fear of losing money is a long row to hoe,

You can't, and they know it. They're doomed, but they're fighting to
the last nail to hold on to any profits whatsoever.

The fighters are the distributors and their mechanisms,
soon to be superseded via direct content creator to consumer delivery.

If I could directly pay the creator a small, not outrageous, one-time
fee, $2?, I'd probably go with it.

Bandwidth became sufficient that direct internet music distribution
became possible, and the stores were born. When the same becomes true
of high def video, these distributors are done.

Note: You download music, they hope you won't be able to do the same
with video - streaming, uncapturable, only.

And, if they can prevent you from picking the stream digital lock and
storing the stream - they're gold.

THAT, I expect, is really what this is all about.