[kwlug-disc] Canadian DMCA, take 3

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Jun 3 02:31:04 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 03:14:26AM -0400, unsolicited wrote:

> Are you talking the playing of DVDs from a DVD drive, or the playing of
> DVD content transferred to a hard drive first? (I expect 'use' wise,
> there is a difference, thus my question.)

>From a DVD drive. Commercial DVDs have the famous (and broken) CSS
digital lock. Disseminating the code to break this digital lock (aka
libdvdread4) will be illegal. Thanks, media pirates!

Nobody will legally be able to transfer their DVDs to a media device,
as far as I can tell. But I have not read the legislation and I don't
pretend to understand it well.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org