[kwlug-disc] Canadian DMCA, take 3

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Jun 3 00:44:06 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 11:14:02AM -0400, Darcy Casselman wrote:

> > I think this is the 3rd attempt, by my count, of the Conservatives
> > trying to introduce this.

If I remember correctly, the only reason the first two bills failed
was because in each case elections were called. I have little hope
that we'll get lucky a third time.

>From looking at the digital lock writeups I get the sense that this
will make libdvdread4 illegal to use in Canada, and means we cannot
play DVDs under Linux using FLOSS. Is this correct?

I guess you could sell DVD playing software for Linux that is
licenced, if somebody provided it. Yay, I guess. But I think that we
have lost the fight to effectively play multimedia on the Linux
desktop. (Cue people defending Jamendo and Sita Sings the Blues and
other fringe cases that don't really matter.)

Sigh. Time to fire up the futile letter writing campaigns, I guess.

At this point I am thinking to post links to Darcy's video as
well as the CBC story in the meeting announcement. If anybody has
punchier material then send me the link before Friday evening.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org