[kwlug-disc] eSATA hot pluggable on Linux?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jun 1 20:42:33 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 8:07 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> So why is it considered reasonable to have to shut down to change SCSI, or
> IDE, but not external SATA (which is actually exactly the same as internal
> SATA, with a bit more mechanical 'glue'.)

Because this is a hard disk dock that works with USB for removable disks,
and is supposed to work with SATA too.  It has the connector for SATA, and
provided a bracket and a cable as well.

http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/295

The reason I want SATA over USB is that the former is faster, and less CPU
intensive as well.

The whole idea is to unmount a disk, power off the dock, and change the
disk. Works fine with USB, but not SATA (on my server).

The issue here is probably that the motherboard does not support the SATA
port multiplier feature
http://www.serialata.org/technology/port_multipliers.asp
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin