[kwlug-disc] Google dumps Windows OS

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Tue Jun 1 19:21:34 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 06:49:53PM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> All I'm saying, or said, is, I wish we had already solved this still
> ongoing problem such that when an article says "... is switching to
> Linux", a body could walk into a store and pick one up as easily as
> going in to get an iPad or a Mac. We're just not there yet, and we're
> still at a point wherein nobody knows how to effectively get us there.
>
> Switching to 'Linux' is better than nothing. Switching to <xyz>, for
> the same effort, would be far more useful.

So, you seem to be saying that if Google announced it was switching to
"Unix" and in reality had put BSD-based MacBooks on everyone's desk, that
you'd have the same problem with them, because they would be announcing
a technology switch instead of a brand switch?

If we ever get to the point that buying "Linux" means buying some
specific product, we'll have lost a lot in the process.
It might be easier to sell, but consumer enlightenment would not have
budged an inch.

- Chris