[kwlug-disc] Diagnosing suspected HD problem

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jun 1 19:14:05 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Insurance Squared Inc. <
gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:

> My server that is running linux raid barfed up today.

Better provide some more detail: what color was the barf, did it smell?
Was it projectile? Did the server eat from a street vendor recently.

All that will help narrow down the bacteria, errr the problem ...

I'm suspicious that I may have hard drive problems.

What led you to think that?

> How would would step through diagnosing such concerns under linux?

Do you have an external enclosure for the same connector type
(I mean SATA, ATA, ...etc.)

If so, take the disks one by one and plug them in and watch dmesg.
Each disk should get an incremental letter, and then some info on
its hardware (manufacturer, model, capacity), and then partition
information.

You can then try accessing the disk, e.g.

dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/null count=100000

Then try mounting the partition, and see if you can access it.

> g.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com