[kwlug-disc] Google dumps Windows OS

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Jun 1 18:26:38 EDT 2010

Raul Suarez wrote, On 06/01/2010 6:16 PM:
> --- On Tue, 6/1/10, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>> It matters. At least to the point where walking in and
>> saying "Give me one of those." is a palatable buying
>> experience.
>
> I guess the point is "what does it matter" for the purpose of the announcement.

Fair point.

It matters to the reader who's (whom's?) logical question is, then:
"Where do I get one?"

If someone says "If google's doing it, it's good enough for me, it's
time to go buy one." they can't. Agreed to your point - that wasn't
the purpose of the article. And you can debate whether that's a sound
basis upon which to make such a decision, but it's no worse than the
assumption that's it's from Microsoft so I should buy it. Whether you
or I would do it doesn't matter here, I have no doubt some do. And
I've no doubt we do the same - just not for these particular products.
Granted - depends upon the complexity of the product class under
consideration.

I guess part of what I'm pointing out is that we get more and more
coverage that 'Linux is good', but the coverage isn't sufficient to
enable joe user to just 'go get one.'

I don't say I know the answer, I just wish there was a magic wand.

Perhaps a case in point - how many iPads have or will be sold? Why? On
what basis? Doesn't seem to matter. How can we get 'Linux' there, too?