[kwlug-disc] Google dumps Windows OS

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jun 1 11:55:28 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Lori Paniak
<ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com>wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 11:05 -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Darcy Casselman <dscassel at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >         On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:38 AM, John Van Ostrand
> >         <john at netdirect.ca> wrote:
> >         > It's good to see a large company decide that all corporate
> >         desktops should not run Windows.
> >         >
> >         > http://bit.ly/dk4f8B
> >

> >         I think this has just as much to do with Microsoft declaring
> >         war on
> >         Google several years ago than anything else Google is actually
> >         saying
> >         about it...
> >
> >         Steve Ballmer is an idiot.
> >
> > Like the article says, It probably has more to do with Internet
> > Explorer on Windows being the attack vector for the China incident
> > that Google
> > experienced.
> >
> > Now they are having an internal mandate to use something more secure
> > (or less exploitable) internally.
> >
> > --
> > Khalid M. Baheyeldin
>

> I am truly surprised that more companies do not take this same POV.  The
> Windows desktop is clearly the weakest link in many (most?) corporate IT
> structures.  Any product that requires ongoing, third-party patching (AV
> software) to maintain a secure configuration does not belong in a
> computing environment that handles sensitive information.

Google probably has most of its internal applications accessible via
a browser. So it is easier for them to move to ANY platform than the
large corporation who have invested in Windows based clients for
their applications, and hence locked themselves to this platform for
a long time.

Even when things are browser based, they too often assume Windows
and Internet Explorer. I've seem companies developing ActiveX applications
for banks in IE, and I was floored by them being totally oblivious to the
security
implications of this.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin