[kwlug-disc] Google dumps Windows OS

Lori Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Tue Jun 1 11:16:34 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 11:05 -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Darcy Casselman <dscassel at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:38 AM, John Van Ostrand
>         <john at netdirect.ca> wrote:
>         > It's good to see a large company decide that all corporate
>         desktops should not run Windows.
>         >
>         > http://bit.ly/dk4f8B
>

>         I think this has just as much to do with Microsoft declaring
>         war on
>         Google several years ago than anything else Google is actually
>         saying
>         about it...
>
>         Steve Ballmer is an idiot.
>
> Like the article says, It probably has more to do with Internet
> Explorer on Windows being the attack vector for the China incident
> that Google
> experienced.
>
> Now they are having an internal mandate to use something more secure
> (or less exploitable) internally.
>
> --
> Khalid M. Baheyeldin

I am truly surprised that more companies do not take this same POV.  The
Windows desktop is clearly the weakest link in many (most?) corporate IT
structures.  Any product that requires ongoing, third-party patching (AV
software) to maintain a secure configuration does not belong in a
computing environment that handles sensitive information.

Please, let's keep name calling to a minimum.