[kwlug-disc] AsteriskNow?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Jul 31 15:15:08 EDT 2010

John Van Ostrand wrote, On 07/31/2010 8:59 AM:
> [...]

How un/reasonable is it to consider oneself 'sufficiently' 'safe' in
this (distro) situation? (Behind a firewall, and only the mentioned
ports opened and directed to the box.)

Assuming no internal hardware such as line cards, in the home (with 2
or 3 ATA devices, 1 POTS, perhaps 2 'extensions' which might be
multi-handset cordless phones), how un/reasonable is it to expect
'sufficiently' acceptable performance when running such distros within
a vm? I guess I'm assuming the hardware is dual-core, and 2 - 4 GB
memory. I'm not assuming it is the only vm, but I guess I'm assuming
sufficient resources exist to run each vm in a 'reasonable' manner.

Perhaps I'm asking the impossible here, given everyone will have their
own definitions for 'sufficiently', 'safe', and 'reasonable'. Perhaps
'reasonable' is not ecstatic, but also not particularly unhappy. (JJ
said to me a long, long, time ago "You pick it up, you get dial tone."
- you're happy, or, at least, satisfied, and not unhappy.)

I have a suspicion that I could run a mythbuntu (with kde), plus 2 or
3 vms (one of these distros, and egroupware, and courier e-mail either
with egroupware or in its own vm) and be 'sufficiently' satisfied.
When performance is insufficient, perhaps I'm streaming HD in and out
simultaneously, move egroupware/courier to a vm on another machine,
and keep going. Is this a fantasy world?