[kwlug-disc] Microsoft will have tablets to compete with iPad

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Jul 30 23:20:54 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Lori Paniak
<ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com>wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 22:42 -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> >
> http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/07/30/1257201/To-Ballmer-Grabbing-iPads-Market-Is-Job-One-Urgency
> >
> > Microsoft is unhappy with Apple's success with the iPad. That is
> > understandable.
> >
> > They say they will have some tablet offering by Intel.
> >
> > If these get anywhere near popular, this could be good news for us,
> > since they will almost certainly be able to run Linux on them.
> >
> > How soon before someone port Android on these?
> > --
> > Khalid M. Baheyeldin
>
> They are almost here (at least smaller versions). A couple of examples:
>
> Dell Streak (5"):
>
> http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/mobile-streak?c=us&l=en&s=corp
>
> Augen (7"):
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/26/augens-150-android-tablet-hits-kmart-circular-coming-to-store/

Those are more akin to the iPod Touch than the iPad.

Good to see many that are Android out there.  With a good Marketplace,
things can pick up.

Hopefully we can avoid the fragmentation that happened on the desktop with
KDE and Gnome.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.