[kwlug-disc] Access rights to file/folder

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Jul 30 11:54:13 EDT 2010

Rashkae wrote, On 07/30/2010 11:24 AM:
> unsolicited wrote:
>> Rashkae wrote, On 07/29/2010 7:55 AM:
>>>>

>>> This is well documented in the ACL howto, which is worth a read to
>>> anyone following this discussion.
>>
>> Link?
>>

> I apologize.  I thought there was an 'official' Linux Documentation
> Project Howto on the subject, and was about to post a lmgtfy link.  But
> it seems my memory was faulty, and no such document actually exists.
>
> This is the acl tutorial I've used as reference:  It's a bit dated, but
> the commands and examples still apply and work :)
>
> http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/ACL/linux-acl.html

Excellent. Thank you.

- the article is from 2003. It notes that nfs doesn't support ACLs (at
the time). Anyone know if nfs does now?

- it also points out that Samba (at the time) was ready to accommodate
ACLs. In actual practice, does this (mostly) meld the worlds
effectively, extending Windows ACLs (or user/group lists) to Linux
file servers (with acl enabled partitions)? [It notes, or rather, the
whitepaper does, that using Windows on a samba Linux file will let you
manipulate ACLs a la Windows.

[And, from what I quickly reviewed, my earlier in the thread thought
of having a .perms file in a directory makes even more sense.]