[kwlug-disc] Wordpress themes must be GPL

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 13:27:33 EDT 2010

Fair and corrected.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant

Software, Hardware and Practices

_________________

Twitter: rarsamx

http://rarsa.blogspot.com/

--- On Thu, 7/29/10, Ralph Janke <txwikinger at ubuntu.com> wrote:

From: Ralph Janke <txwikinger at ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: [kwlug-disc] Wordpress themes must be GPL
To: kwlug-disc at kwlug.org

wrote:

> The FSF's interpretation is like any other interpretation. The
only
thing the can additionally
        > contribute is their intention since they
have created it. However, they have no more
        > authority in regard of
interpreting the interrelationship between the GPL and statutory/
        >common
law as any other person trained in law.

        I think you are again confusing the spirit (Which is the
intention under which the license was written) with the letter, which
is the bottom part of your paragraph.

Correction:

A license is a permission, not a law. The question is in what sense
such a permission *put* additional obligations on you. That part is
restricted by law.

You could very well put out a license saying, "if you use this
software, you agree to give me all your possessions you have".

However, the spirit of "law" says that such a condition would *not* be
unenforceable.

- Ralph

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----