[kwlug-disc] Wordpress themes must be GPL

Ralph Janke txwikinger at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 29 12:52:04 EDT 2010

On 07/29/2010 12:36 PM, Raul Suarez wrote:

> --- On *Thu, 7/29/10, Ralph Janke /<txwikinger at ubuntu.com>/* wrote:
>
> > The FSF's interpretation is like any other interpretation. The only
> thing the can additionally
>
> > contribute is their intention since they have created it. However,
> they have no more
>
> > authority in regard of interpreting the interrelationship between
> the GPL and statutory/
>
> >common law as any other person trained in law.
>

> I think you are again confusing the spirit (Which is the intention
> under which the license was written) with the letter, which is the
> bottom part of your paragraph.

A license is a permission, not a law. The question is in what sense such
a permission but additional obligations on you. That part is restricted
by law.

You could very well put out a license saying, "if you use this software,
you agree to give me all your possessions you have".

However, the spirit of "law" says that such a condition would be
unenforceable.

- Ralph