[kwlug-disc] Wordpress themes must be GPL

R. Brent Clements rbclemen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 12:50:42 EDT 2010

I just re-read the GPL v3 quickly, and I see nothing about being
obligated to anyone other than the entities I directly conveyed the
work to.  I understand that in a feel-good, share-and-share-alike
world that is all very feel good and all, but it is the line that
divides.  If RMS was required to give away copies in order to have the
right to sell them that would be completely different.  In my example
above the nominal cost of receiving a copy of my source from me is
$100, and I will throw in a free copy of the binaries and related
data.

>From the licence:
--begin cut
6. Conveying Non-Source Forms.
You may convey a covered work in object code form under the terms of
sections 4 and 5, provided that you also convey the machine-readable
Corresponding Source under the terms of this License, in one of these
ways:
a) Convey the object code in, or embodied in, a physical product
(including a physical distribution medium), accompanied by the
Corresponding Source fixed on a durable physical medium customarily
used for software interchange.
b) Convey the object code in, or embodied in, a physical product
(including a physical distribution medium), accompanied by a written
offer, valid for at least three years and valid for as long as you
offer spare parts or customer support for that product model, to give
anyone who possesses the object code either (1) a copy of the
Corresponding Source for all the software in the product that is
covered by this License, on a durable physical medium customarily used
for software interchange, for a price no more than your reasonable
cost of physically performing this conveying of source, or (2) access
to copy the Corresponding Source from a network server at no charge.

--end cut

Key part there is obligated to give the source to those who possess
the object code
And from what I can tell including the source only with the original
distribution is perfectly legit under the GPL

Obviously my 10 customers could decide to redistribute the contents of
the medium in any way they see fit, but if they don't copy the whole
package including the source to their "customers" they are modifying
the work and would have to cover the cost of distributing the source
themselves.

Brent