[kwlug-disc] Linus viruses

Insurance Squared Inc. gcooke at insurancesquared.com
Tue Jul 27 19:44:42 EDT 2010

I don't think there's a need to get that specific.

I have a linux desktop, had one for something like 5-10 years.  I take
no specific security precautions, run no virus scanner, and have never
had an issue with external intrusions or compromises.

Try the same thing with a windows desktop.  My mother's computer was
filthy with viruses and hacks until I got her on to linux.  All I did
was do a default install, give her the machine, and no further issues.
My point was, linux desktops don't get compromised ever.  Not rarely -
ever.  I've never had it happen, and nobody on this list even knows
anybody that it's ever happened to. that's the point I was curious about
- could it happen in some remote possibility?  Apparently not.

It's been argued back and forth 'why' many times.  But the end result
is, linux as a desktop has got to be the safest desktop available in
terms of being compromised.

Webservers are an entirely different matter.  Even still, almost all the
hacks that happen on webservers that I've ever seen have nothing to do
with linux and not even anything to do with the services - it's a
problem with the web apps that allow hackers in.  My webserver has been
compromised a number of times.  All times but one they were a mysql
injection from poorly written code.  The second time was an email form
problem that allowed population of the 'to' field, again from a poorly
written app.