[kwlug-disc] Curious about SSH Key security

Fernando Duran liberosec at yahoo.ca
Tue Jul 27 12:14:14 EDT 2010

John's comments are excellent. I'll just add a couple of ideas.

There are three types of authenticating a person:

- With "something you know", like a password
- With "something you have", like a key or card
- With "something you are", like any biometric (fingerprint etc) or a photo ID in "real-life"

A two-factor authentication is when you need two of the above to authenticate (like at the ABM with card + PIN) and they are way more secure that using one method alone.

SSH keys with passwords or a certificate is also two-factor authentication.

The only downside of the (SSH) keys is to manage them. For many users accessing a server managing their keys can take up time but if it's just my server (or just me and a couple other people) SSH keys are the way to go.

I'm also a big fan of port-knocking, you just need 4 iptables rules or so: http://bliki.rimuhosting.com/space/knowledgebase/Security/Port+Knocking (note that in this code you don't need the rule for port 31599) and the service is not even open most of the time.

Fernando Duran
http://www.fduran.com