[kwlug-disc] DuckDuckGo.com -- an alternate search engine

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jul 26 23:28:56 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 11:17 PM, Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca> wrote:

> > But sometimes I search Google for something, then check the results
> > quickly, then realize that it is better to search Google News or
> > Google Images. The tabs that Google has on the top are very useful in
> > that case. Although DuckDuckGo has similar news, images, ...etc.
> > search, they are not as useful as Google's.
> Where does it have this? All I see is links to bounce your search to
> Bing image search, Google Maps, etc.

Yes, those. Map, News, Photos, ...etc.

As I said, not as well integrated as Google's. Google developed their own
over time. DuckDuckGo just links to similar things outside its control.

> > Maybe over time they will improve, and competition is always good for
> > the consumers.
> > Shows that there is always room for innovation ...
> I don't think you'll be able to out-search an established player like
> Google this late in the game, unless you have the backing capital of a
> rather large corporation, and can afford to lose money for years on the
> effort.

Google unseated Altavista and Yahoo.

 Venture Capital can come later if they show case a promising engine
first, which they are on the right track for right now ...

They've got an awesome privacy policy, and are small enough to try new
> methods and presentation without annoying an established userbase, but
> other than that, they are playing a big game of catchup.

Perhaps ...

But even being there can be enough, if they just get noticed and Google
is pressured in improving things (including privacy).