[kwlug-disc] Wordpress themes must be GPL

Johnny Ferguson hyperflexed at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 14:03:04 EDT 2010

On 07/26/2010 01:47 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Johnny Ferguson <hyperflexed at gmail.com
> <mailto:hyperflexed at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         But, to Paul's point: How do developers put food on the table?
>

>     I got into this debate with someone on another mailing list, and I
>     now wonder the same question. I think the short answer is they can't
>     (or they have to do something free to establish an opportunity to
>     potentially provide extended service which others could very well
>     provide).
>

> Sure they can!
>
> Just not by the older model of selling copies of software they wrote.
>
> They can do support, consulting, hosting, training, extensions, or what
> have you.

as can everyone else with the code being GPL which was the point I tried
to illustrate.

I guess as an example:
1. Team X creates WebWidget5000, spending $4000
2. Team X creates WW5000 Support Premium
3. Team Y comes along and undercuts WW5000 Support Premium
4. Team X is very sad
5. Team Y laughs mischievously

I suppose whether GPL or Proprietary, the same scenario could occur, but
with proprietary, Team Y would have to have some kind of magical powers.
I just think the GPL has potential to make it difficult selling extended
services.

This is purely from theory. I've never made a massive GPL app or tried
to sell support licenses. Any counterexamples would be welcome.

> Just not burn CDs and sell them for $99 each as a business model.

true.