[kwlug-disc] Curious about SSH Key security

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 26 11:19:14 EDT 2010

--- On Sat, 7/24/10, John Van Ostrand <john at netdirect.ca> wrote:
> > Security traditionally should depend.
>
> Not traditionally, but optimality it should.

That's what I meant: In my mind "should" was translated to optimally. i.e. That's what should be even if it's not what it is.

> Keep /etc/secure permissions locked down and set up sudo on
> the remote server to only allow running the backup.sh
> script. You could even investigate the use of restricted
> shell for the backup user to further prevent abuse.

OK, so I am still under the same original impression. there are ways to secure it in the workstations but if it's not done then they are still a weak link.

So, people should know that using keys in an on itself is not more security. It is only more secure and convenient when they are properly secured.

Is that last statement correct/

Regards.

Raul Suarez.