[kwlug-disc] Wordpress themes must be GPL

Johnny Ferguson hyperflexed at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 20:48:17 EDT 2010

I just read the debate between Chris (Thesis) and Matt (Wordpress), and
I thought this illustrated rather well the caliber of understanding on
each side

---

Matt: Well, if in the WordPress community people started deciding that
the GPL doesn’t apply that’s a very, very slippery slope. Not just for
WordPress but for all of open source. Like you said, there hasn’t been a
court case yet in the United States because every company, including big
ones like Cisco, have backed down. If Chris wants to be the court case
that proves the GPL, I am sure there are many people in the open source
community that would love that opportunity.

Andrew: What’s your position? Do you want to do this? Are you thinking
of doing it?

Matt: I wasn’t before. However, it sounds like Chris, like a business
argument isn’t going to change his mind. It sounds like, you know, all
the legal analysis from the biggest experts in the world isn’t going to
change his mind. Chris has just decided that the license doesn’t apply
to him and so he shouldn’t have to care about it. That’s breaking the law.

Chris: I mean, you know, when I was in college in Georgia apparently it
was illegal, in the Georgia State Doctrine, it was illegal to get a
blowjob in the State of Georgia. But that’s one of those laws that’s
never enforced. That brings up a valid question. What kind of law is it
if it is unenforceable?

---

definitely a non-sequitur of the highest degree. I started out somewhat
sympathetic towards the Thesis guy, but the Wordpress guy absolutely
tears him a new one:

http://mixergy.com/chris-pearson-matt-mullenweg/

I hope Thesis maintains its attitude. Would be nice to see the legal
precedent solidified.

-Johnny